Dispatches - Cho Oyu 2005

October 01, 2005

During the autumn season of 2005 Adventure Consultants operated an expedition to Cho Oyu (8,210m/26,906ft).

Adventure Consultants Cho Oyu Expedition 2005 Dispatches

Expedition Leader: Mike Roberts - New Zealand / USA
Assistant Guide: Mark Sedon - New Zealand

Expedition Sardar: Ang Tshering Sherpa
Climbing Sardar: Chhuldim Sherpa
Climbing Sherpas: Phu Tashi Sherpa, Lhakpa Dorje Sherpa, Nawang Chhongba Sherpa and Lhapka Tenzing Sherpa
Base Camp Cook: Chhongba Sherpa

Expedition team members:
Carol Masheter - USA
Ana Elisa Boscarioli - Brazil
Peter Browne - UK
Chuck McGibbon - USA
Richard Nordstrom - Sweden
Dr Simon Andrade – Australia

23 August 2005 - Cho Oyu Expedition about to start
On August 30 our team of Cho Oyu climbers will meet their guides Mark Sedon and Mike Roberts in Kathmandu, before leaving to fly to Lhasa in Tibet on September 1 and then on to 8201m Cho Oyu.

Daily dispatches will be published here once the expedition starts. We welcome you to follow their journey.


31 August 2005 - Kathmandu
Namaste!! Here we go on the Adventure Consultants Cho Oyu Expedition 2005.

Last night was a bit frantic; Ana’s luggage finally caught up with her, just an hour before we had to send our climbing gear overland to Tibet. Peter landed on his feet, straight into gear checks and packing only an hour earlier. Other team members had a little more time whilst Mike and Mark busied themselves with permits, communications equipment and last minute logistics. Thankfully all our Climbing Sherpas were on hand sorting all the food, tents, group equipment and oxygen, then loading it on the truck and heading off into the night for the journey to Chinese Base Camp, where we will meet up with them in a few days time.

Today our group can relax, do last minute shopping and get to know one another. The last free day, then early tomorrow the 8 team members plus our Sirdar, Ang Tshering Sherpa (otherwise known as AT) will fly to Lhasa, situated at over 3000m. From here will be the start of the acclimatising and the much awaited first part of the expedition, exploring the Tibetan city of Lhasa, followed by the journey to Chinese Base Camp.

Regards from Kathmandu, Mark Sedon

1 September 2005 - Lhasa
The team left Kathmandu on the 10am flight arriving in Tibet in the afternoon. The hour and a half drive from the airport was broken up with a stop to a Buddhist Shrine. Carol had a go at tossing a prayer flag weighed down with mud up onto the wall, for good luck.

We are staying at the very nice Tibet Mountaineering Guides School Hotel and dinner was taken in the heart of Lhasa (7km away). The celebration of China's 40th anniversary of establishing the Tibetan Autonomous Region was going on today although we were not allowed to watch. But with the streets closed to traffic, there was a special peace and tranquillity about the evening activities and the team wandered the streets taking it all in, enjoying the friendly Tibetan faces and local markets.

Unfortunately, there was cloud blocking our view of Everest and Cho Oyu during our flight from Nepal, but everyone’s excited about getting closer to the mountain...

2 September 2005 - Lhasa touring
With so much to see in Lhasa, we have been keeping ourselves busy!

Here's a picture of some of the group in front of the Potala Palace, then on the rooftop of a monastery plus a lama at the hillside monastery we visited.


3 September 2005 - Road to Shigatse
We hit the road this morning for the four-hour drive to Shigatse at 3900m and the second largest city in Tibet. Our bus was traded in for three Landcruisers and the drive was very interesting following the Friendship Highway despite a few crazy drivers coming our way, on our side of the road!! We checked into another nice Chinese Hotel and had lunch before walking across the road to explore the Tashilhunpo Monastery. This was by far the group's favourite monastery as it was quiet and cool, unchanged since it was built in the 14th century. One of the highlights was the 26m high Jampa, or Future Buddha with 1m long fingers and containing over 300kg of gold.

Tomorrow the road gets worse and it may take us 10 hours to get to Tingri where we will stay two nights before continuing to Chinese Base Camp (the road end). We may not do another dispatch until then.

It’s exciting getting closer to the mountain and everyone is looking forward to getting into the walk to Advance Base Camp (ABC).

Bye for now,

Mark Sedon

4 September 2005 - Shigatse to New Tingri
The early hours of September 4th started with a tremendous thunderstorm and torrential rain. In contrast to yesterday's smooth fast drive on a sealed road, today was the complete opposite; 300km of unsealed continuous road works with multiple stops for stuck vehicles (fortunately not ours) and road works. Reading was out of the question and in order to stop one's head hitting the vehicle roof it paid to be holding on. When it wasn't deep mud it was often dusty. Wearing sun hats, dust masks and music systems we provided the locals with passing amusement.

Our drive took us over Gyatso La 5220m where the remains of the previous evening's snowfall dusted the ground.

Our accommodations in New Tingri (4300m) at the Qomolangma Hotel can only be described as luxurious when compared to the primitive habitations of Old Tingri where we have stayed in past years. All members are revelling in the two additional days of hot showers, bed linen and comfortable surroundings. In order to consolidate our acclimatization, we will stay a second night at this location.

Cheers for now

Mike Roberts for the AC Cho Oyu Team

5 September 2005 - New Tingri 
Hi again from 4,300m in the town of New Tingri. The group climbed a small peak near town, above an old Monastery called Shegar Dzong. It was a steep climb, but we were all glad to be out in the fresh air walking. Everyone is acclimatising very well and no one reported even a slight headache. The summit was a cluster of prayer flags and it was impossible to see downwards. But the views on the walk were fantastic; wheat fields, barren mountains and small villages.

After lunch, we had our medical discussion and everyone discussed their concerns and got answers to their many questions. Doctor Simon held up well to the questioning despite the Australian rugby beating!!

A timely e-mail from the AC office dropped Mike in the hot seat, he had been hiding the fact that it was his birthday... with not much warning the hotel staff managed to whip up a very nice cake.

This is Mark and the team signing off.

6 September 2005 - Chinese Base Camp, 4900m 
At last, we made the road end!! After three hours drive we are now at what is known as Chinese Base Camp and although the road continues, we will walk from here after two nights at this elevation. It was great to once again meet up with the Sherpas, who had set up our eating, cooking and sleeping tents. Even though it is a temporary camp, everyone is impressed with the setup (wait till they see the real thing!!).

The afternoon was spent resting and building on the good friendships already establishing themselves amongst the group. Some great characters are already emerging and there is bound to be a few funny stories to follow.

Dinner's almost ready, until tomorrow.

7 September 2005 - Acclimatization day at Chinese Base Camp 
Today's rest day at Chinese Base Camp started with a hot towel and bed tea courtesy of our Sherpa staff. Everyone welcomed the first truly blue day we have had in Tibet and the fantastic mountain vistas that one gets from this location. 

After a relaxed breakfast, we climbed up to a local crag to practice our technical skills. We set up fixed ropes to simulate ascending the 'yellow band'; a steep sedimentary rock step that one encounters on summit day. Fun was had rappelling and ascending different sections of terrain.

In preparation for starting our two-day trek to base camp (BC) also known as Advanced Base Camp, folks have been packing and organizing kit. Tomorrow night we will be camping at what we call interim valley camp (5300m) and on the following day we will complete the trek to BC. 

The bells of yaks ring out from the hillsides above our camp. Over the past couple of days, we have watched the antics of naughty yaks as they kick and stamp their loads. Needless to say we are hoping for well-behaved yaks that are happy to carry trays of fresh eggs and the like!

Until BC this is Mike for the AC Team

9 September 2005 - Chinese Base Camp to Interim Camp to BC
Hello everyone, this is Mark and the Team at Advanced Base Camp, 5600m. It's great to be here, with most of our gear intact from the Yak cargo trafficking. We arrived into camp around 1pm after the long walk up from interim camp. Everyone's moving pretty slow with the new altitude and drinking large amounts of liquids, allowing our bodies to adjust to this new level.

Some expeditions are here already and have just fixed ropes to Camp 2, which is great news. We have our ropes to add to the group pool, and after a couple of days rest, our Sherpas will also start working on the mountain. With Cho Oyu looming high above our camp and walking tracks visible high up in the snow, we are all excited to be here and ready to get into the 'guts' of the climb. 

We hope you like some of the pictures we are posting from the last couple of days.

Bye for now!!

10 September 2005 - Life at Base Camp
Hi folks from a snowy afternoon at base camp. It is really coming down right now! Need I say that our first night at this new altitude (5600m) did result in some members suffering from high altitude headaches. Bring on Diamox, basic analgesia and plenty of fluids and folks overall slept well and are feeling well rested. Appetites are certainly good.

We awoke to several centimetres of new snow and a clear morning that revealed beautiful views of the many surrounding peaks. As we look south towards Nepal we can see where the Chinese border guards have a post established on the Nangpa La. The Nangpa is a famous trading route that has existed between Nepal and Tibet for centuries. Just the other day, we heard of a border skirmish taking place when several 'tribesman' tried to illegally cross the pass at night.

This morning Mark and I attended a meeting with several other expeditions to decide on the division of labour and materials needed for fixing ropes up the steep sections of Cho Oyu's flanks. This meeting was more like an amicable catch up of old friends who see the value in cooperatively working together on the mountain.

Our Sherpa team have done a fantastic job in quickly setting up our base camp. Today the refining touches were added with showers and the like. One big task we have accomplished today is the sorting of all base camp and mountain food. It was a case of all hands on board to beat the wet snow which is now falling quite heavily.

In regard to our plan for tomorrow, the 'jury' is still out. Given suitable weather and health, we will likely head towards or to Camp 1 on a day trip. Stay tuned for tomorrow's update.

Thinking of folks back home,

Mike for the AC Team

11 September 2005 - Foray to Camp 1
Bed tea was served at 5:30am today, on a crisp clear Himalayan morning. By 7am we were climbing up the moraine-covered glacier under the hot sun. Everyone was feeling the altitude as we climbed up to Camp 1 at 6300m. It was a personal height record for some members, and we left some gear and then descended into light snow flurries. Arriving back at ABC at 4pm, an exhausted team rested tired eyes and bones, just managing to stay awake to eat some Sherpa pie followed by chocolate pudding. Tomorrow's a rest day which will be nice. Mike and I are having trouble thinking of what more to say, so good night for now.

Mark and Crew

12 September 2005 - Puja Day at Base Camp
Today started slowly after the big day yesterday. French toast, fruit, fresh yoghurt, cheese omelette washed down with real coffee and Sherpa tea.

Next was the Puja ceremony, a traditional ritual where we lay out our crampons and ice axes, along with food and wine as gifts to the gods. Prayers are read and rice is thrown on the decorated temple of rocks. Flour is tossed, often on the one sitting next to you, and finally, some of the food and wine is consumed. A fun event asking for three things; permission from the gods to step on the mountain, safe passage on the mountain and for a successful expedition.

After the ceremony, we had nachos for lunch as the seemingly typical afternoon snow showers came in. Time to relax in our tents, read and rehydrate.

This is Mark signing off on behalf of the 2005 AC Cho Oyu Expedition

13 September 2005 - Chilling out at Base Camp
Last night we celebrated Mark's birthday with wine, a movie and friends from neighbouring camps. Chhongba made a great cake for the occasion and given the quality of the cake, you would swear he used a proper oven. Knowing that today was designated for rest meant most folks stayed up quite late. This morning nearly everyone took advantage of the sunshine to have a shower and catch up on some washing. As I write this dispatch the familiar patter of afternoon snow on our tents creates a relaxing atmosphere for siesta time. Our plan for tomorrow is to head up to Camp 1 for an overnight stay. On Thursday morning we will climb up to a feature known as 'the ice cliff' and then return to base camp. Please tune in for an update on Thursday afternoon.

Hurray for now

Mike for the AC Cho Oyu Team

14 September 2005 - Base Camp to Camp 1
Today didn't start that well. We had to bid farewell to Dr Simon who has decided to leave the expedition for medical reasons. It's a great loss to the expedition, Simon was well liked and respected in the group. The dinner table is much quieter without his witty jokes and good humour.

As Mike helped with logistics for getting Simon back to Kathmandu, the rest of the group headed up to Camp 1. Everyone was thankful for the acclimatisation gained on the last trip and the climb took an hour or two less.

The afternoon was spent re-hydrating and snacking. But the meal of the day went to Mike and Mark who feasted on New Zealand roast lamb in a red wine and rosemary sauce, much to the dismay of the other members who barely had an appetite.

A wind storm hit during the night, ripping apart some tents in Camp 1!

Mark and the AC Crew

15 September 2005 - Camp 1 to Ice Cliff and return to ABC
It was windy overnight, our tents were fine, although some members were a little nervous at the pounding of the wind.

We got an early start in partly cloudy, but not cold conditions. It was great to be finally climbing on the snow arete above Camp 1. There was some fixed rope to practice what we had learnt at Chinese Base Camp and the views just got better and better the higher we got. Our high point was about 6600m, just below the ice cliff. We had a nice break then descended 'Sherpa Rapel' style down the fixed rope to Camp 1, packed up and continued down to ABC where Chhongba, our fantastic cook, had hot fries and pizza waiting for us.

Tomorrow is a much-needed rest day!

Mark and the AC Team

16 September 2005 - Rest Cycle
Hi folks, we've been chilling out at BC today and it was most welcome. Chuck is on his 48th Sudoku puzzle for the expedition and we are wondering what will happen to him when his puzzle book finishes. While we've been slouching around our Sherpas have carried to Camp 2 and will tomorrow head up to Camp 3. Meanwhile, every day sees another train of yaks arriving at BC and camps sprouting up everywhere. Yak was on the menu tonight which had the meat lovers surprised at its relative tenderness.

As you can see from the evening photo of our Sirdar Ang Tsering talking on the radio, we have quite a cloud build up. A punchy wee storm is forecast for Sunday and the sky seems to be accord with this prediction. So tomorrow we'll see what the day brings and provided it is OK to head to C1 for one or two nights. Our aim is ultimately to go through to C2 for an acclimatization night if the weather is possible. It may be two or three days before we get back to our base camp computer for the next update.

Manyana, Mike


19 September 2005 - Acclimatizing to 7000m
After a leisurely breakfast on the 17th, we donned packs and headed up the familiar moraine and scree route to Camp 1. Leaving early to Camp 1 only means more time in the snow bowl, a heat trap where our tents are pitched; so we were in no hurry.

A calm night and relatively early rise saw us heading up towards Camp 2 at about 7.00am on the 18th. No sooner had we got underway than a dramatic shift in the weather occurred. A sinking cloud ceiling of swirling and dancing clouds streaked over the high peaks. Before long snow was pluming and falling; visibility had greatly decreased. Slowly we lumbered up the snow slopes breathing the thin air and watching nature's frontal pattern unfold. Just when it looked like the weather was going to deteriorate into a full blizzard it would back off a little and lure us further up the mountain.

The ice cliff provided the technical challenge of the day. At high altitude, the key to climbing steep ground is coordinating one's breath with a rhythmic pattern of ice axe and foot placements. At the same time, you have to slide your mechanical ascender up the rope for security. Our turn around height for the day was 7000m where we cached equipment and headed back to C1, rappelling the ice cliff en-route. Pushing one's zone of acclimatization tolerance is an exhausting process and it was a tired group of 'puppies' who relaxed back at Camp 1 last night.

This morning we rose with the sun and headed for the comforts and luxuries of base camp. Yes, you guessed it, pizza, showers, contact with home and afternoon snow showers giving an excuse for some lazy time in our own base camp space. As the early season groups embark on their summit bid we are watching their progress, monitoring weather forecasts and planning our own summit bid. Stay tuned!

Mike for the AC Cho Oyu Team

20 September 2005 - Rest Day at ABC
Another sad start to the day. We all got up early to bid farewell to team member, Peter who is leaving the expedition due to medical reasons. Another large part of our family is off home, leaving a gap in our regular discussions and climbing forays. We will all miss him and wish him safe travels back home.

For the rest of us, it was a day of rest, mostly. After a leisurely breakfast, we sat down to learn about oxygen use and equipment. Everyone found a mask which suited their face shape, tested their regulators and had a few laughs pulling faces and trying to talk through them.

The afternoon was spent napping, listening to music, writing e-mails and generally drinking and snacking (did I say after a Mexican burritos for lunch). Everyone's eyes were on the three French climbers heading for the summit, the first for the season.

We are also deciphering the numerous Swiss weather forecasts coming through on our satellite communication system. At this stage there is a storm due in a couple of days, so we hope to go up on the tail end of this for our summit attempt, about the 25th or 26th of September.

We managed to get a good photo today of our extremely strong Nepalese support staff - Climbing Sherpas, Cooks and assistants. Our climbing up high with relative luxuries like big tents, ample oxygen and good food is only made possible by their incredible hard work. In ABC the showers, gourmet food and pampering are very much appreciated also. They really add to the authentic feeling of the expedition, the stuff you read about in past climbing adventures, right back to Hillary and Tenzing's ascent of Everest in 1953.

Stay tuned for the summit push, coming soon...

Mark and the AC team.

P.S. We found a bottle of oxygen for sale in a hotel on our way through Tibet. Mark tested it and got his O2 stats up from 80% to 97%, for a whole one minute! Might have to stick with the big bottles!

21 September 2005 - Base Camp Holding Pattern
Today in summary: Bed tea, breakfast, weather forecasts, monitor process of the summit climbers, washing, nap, more tea, read, sudoku puzzle, watch the yak caravan of Tibetan traders crossing the Nangapa La, afternoon movie, heavy wet snowfall, more tea, and dinner!

Thinking of you all, Mike for the AC Team

22 September 2005 - Off to the Summit
The weather looks good, we are leaving in 4 hours for our summit attempt. Stay tuned...

We hope to summit on September 25 or 26...

Mark, Mike, Ana, Carol, Chuck and Richard...

22 September 2005 - We're on the way!!!
We have reached Camp One after a pleasant afternoon walk from ABC! Enroute we encountered a fair amount of snow, and reports from higher on the mountain indicate that there is a lot of snow higher up. We are pleased to report however, that there have been people summitting for the last three days and the team is eagerly awaiting our climb to Camp Two tomorrow!

Mike and the Cho Oyu Team

23 September 2005 - Camp 2!
This is the Adventure Consultants Office in New Zealand reporting that the team safely reached Camp 2 yesterday and will be climbing to Camp 3 today in preparation for their summit attempt the following day! We should be hearing from them via satelite phone tonight.

Good luck to Mike, Mark and the team!

24 September 2005 - Summit Bound!
Hello all, this is Mike calling in from the Adventure Consultants Cho Oyu Team. Today we moved from Camp 2 to 3 in preparation for our summit bid tomorrow, it is a beautiful day.

Camp 3 is at 7100m so moving outside of sun up hours requires a strong resolution, and those who had the inclination were in fact rewarded with a breif but brilliant Himalayan sunrise experience. In preparation of our summit bid tomorrow we spent the afternoon resting and rehydrating hopeful that the winds remain within an acceptable limit for our climb.

We are hopeful for a view of Mount Everest, the telltale sign we have reached the true summit of Cho Oyu!

Upon our return to Camp 3 tomorrow where there is more oxygen in the air we will send a dispatch. Wish us luck as we head out to climb one of the 8000m Himalayan Giants and please tune in to see how this exciting day concludes!

25 September 2005 - Summit Success!
This is the Adventure Consultants office in New Zealand reporting that the Cho Oyu Team all successfully summited this morning! The team made an ealry start for the summit, leaving Camp 3 around 1.45am and summited at 7.10am! The team spent just over half an hour on the summit celebrating their success and taking in the fantastic panorama from the top.

All members of the team including five Sherpas reached the summit, and are currently making their way down to Camp 2 where they will spend the night. Tomorrow they will make their way back to base camp for celebrations and reflection on their achievement.

Congratulations to Mike, Mark, Ana, Carol, Chuck, Richard and their Sherpa Team!

25 September 2005 - From the Summit!
This is Mike Roberts reporting from the Adventure Consultants Cho Oyu Expedition. It is the 25th September and all team members are elated at having summited Cho Oyu in beautiful, clear conditions!

We departed Camp 3 at 1.45am and reached the summit between 7.15am and 7.45am which is a very fast time. Since 1.30pm we have been back resting at Camp 2.

I would like to congratulate Carol, Ana, Chuck, Richard and Mark! Also thanks to our strong climbing Sherpa team who also summited and assisted us on this trip. Our Sherpa team have dismantled Camp 3 and returned to ABC and no doubt will have a Sherpa Party! If only we had that stamina!

Tomorrow we will return to ABC and have a celebration. Meanwhile six very tired 'puppies' are resting up!

Thanks for tuning in, Mike

26 September 2005 - Summit to C2 and down to BC
On the 25th of September, savouring the elation of summit success, we had a long afternoon of rest in our sunny tents. Meanwhile, the struggle (and it is a struggle) to hydrate and eat post climb has to be a major preoccupation (am I allowed to mention vomit…I’m hinting at reality!). The morning ritual of stoves, breakfast as it is (basic!) and packing had us out of the tent with the first sun. Meanwhile one has to remember to take in the amazing Himalaya panorama that being at such height in a fine weather spell offers. Keep those hands warm! Clip those correctly…stay focused etc. Everyone was relieved to reach Camp 1 and to be able to pack harnesses away.

Reaching the end of technical terrain is a relief to the psyche. The next major incentive for most folks (Ana!) was to arrive at ABC in time to have a shower in the sunlight. Mission accomplished! Then Chhongba provided us with a mid-afternoon banquet. As I write this we are preparing for evening celebrations. 

Mike for the AC Cho Oyu Team

27 September 2005 - Almost Final Dispatch by Cho Oyu Members
Some silly limericks, by Chuck Mc Gibbon

To our fearless leader, Mike Roberts on his 44th birthday:

There once was a Kiwi named Mike,
You could tease him however you like.
But when he turned 44,
He said 'That's it, no more!
If you're not nice I'll go out on strike!'

To our other kiwi guide Mark Sedon:

For a certain ex-bogan named Mark,
Cho Oyu is a bit of a lark,
So ya betta stand clear,
When he gets in high gear,
For him, it's a stroll in the park.

For the youngest member of our team, Richard Nordstrom, from Sweden. The following limerick has two speakers. The opening line is spoken by an elderly American gentleman; the remaining four are growled by some young Nordic upstart:

Title: My name is Richard, Dammit

There is a young Swede I'll call Dick,
But Richard's my name you old prick!
And up at Camp Two,
I may pee in your shoe,
Or jab you with my walking stick!

Added Note: Let it be known that Richard and I were tent mates on all four nights of our summit push. He was a great tent mate and we got along wonderfully.

To Simon Andrade, who had to leave the expedition early due to health reasons Cake and great food:

There was a young doctor from Perth,
A city not known for its mirth.
He seemed a real Aussie,
And looked great in his cozzie,
Although he's a Welshman by birth!

To Carol M. from Utah:

Now Carol, a.k.a. Silver Fox,
Has no need of tucks or botox.
She gets high from the heights,
Not the bright city lights,
And with 'O's, she's as strong as an ox!

To Ana B., our favorite plastic surgeon from Brazil:

Calling daily from Cho Oyu to Brazil,
Ana rang up one hell of a bill.
“No problem at all”, says Dr B.
“It’s a tuck or an implant to me.
Come on, let’s start up the hill!”

Some guide had to come up with a quick one for Chuck….

There was an old man called Chuck,
He spent most of his time in a puzzle,
His spirit was as young as Dick’s,
He liked his beer, coffee and limericks,
And waited for none to summit Cho Oyu…

Random thoughts on the A.C. Cho Oyu expedition 2005 by Richard Nordstrom:

I could easily write a million words about what we have been through. So many feelings, so many impressions and so many laughs. However sitting here in the dining/Brazilian press conference tent, my hands are getting increasingly frostbitten (hence the spelling) Believe me, it is not so easy pinning the words down when you know that every word is heavily censored by the ever vigilant A.C. guides. In other words, there is no point in writing about the lack of lighters in camp 1 scandal, the complete debauchery of Mike’s birthday celebrations or the stacks of T n’A magazines in one of the guides tent. Do not worry however. There will be plenty of time to tell these tales when I get back home.

Now seriously. Thinking back on the last few weeks and looking through my patchy and rather incoherent journal I am struck by how efficient and well run this trip has been. This is of course thanks to our organizational wizards Mike and Mark, our otherworldly strong Sherpa team and last but not least our “Haute Cuisine” cook team, led by always cool Chhongba.

What we, the clients, had to do was simply to keep eating and drinking (easy), not mix up our drinking bottle with our pee bottle (not so easy) and finally of course drag ourselves up this huge and beautiful mountain (bloody hard!).

I wish I could tell you heroic and hair raising stories about storms, suffering and technical climbing of extreme difficulty. But I can not. We really have had some smooth sailing to the summit and back. (Simon and Peter were of course the exceptions. We really missed you two but I can assure you that you were with us in spirit on the summit of Cho Oyu). Almost a million more words to write but there is no time.

Thank you everyone, here and at home, for helping me achieve this dream of mine.

Richard Nordstrom

28 September 2005 - Heading to Kathmandu!
This is the Adventure Consultants Office in New Zealand reporting that the Cho Oyu Team has now packed up ABC and are making their way overland to Kathmandu. The trip will take two days and the team is looking forward to long hot showers and the relative luxury of a hotel before boarding their flights home.

Mike and Mark will be sending a final farewell dispatch on their arrival in Kathmandu!

1 October 2005 - The End :( 
All the expedition members are safely back in Kathmandu, enjoying the luxuries of showers, great food and a few beers. Thanks for watching and bye from Mark, Mike, Carol, Ana, Richard and Chuck!


Related News

Sep 29, 2022
What an amazing day it's been! After much anticipation the team woke to perfect weather and early this morning departed Kathmandu for the lush green hills of Lukla......
Sep 25, 2022
Coming Soon! Our Everest Base Camp Team is preparing for an epic journey through the ancient trails of the Khumbu Valley to EBC starting on October 4th.
Sep 19, 2022
Adventure Consultants returns to Nepal in style this post monsoon season with an expedition to scale Mount Manaslu (8,163m/26,781ft).