IFMGA Mountain and Ski Guide
Steve was our New Zealand Operations Manager up until 2020. A consumate professional, Steve has guided for AC all over the world and is one of our most popular mountain guides.
Steve is an IFMGA Climbing and Ski Guide with considerable Himalayan experience, both as an expedition leader and guide. In 2006 he guided and summitted on our Everest expedition. In addition to his time in the Himalayas, Steve has also guided in Canada, South America, Antarctica, and Greenland. Steve was our New Zealand Operations Manager for the past few years, and also took on the role of New Zealand Chief Guide. Now with COVID-19 and closed borders affecting the size of the NZ guiding operation for AC, he has resumed full-time guiding, which isn't all bad considering he loves guiding and being in the outdoors!
Steve has a passion for remote mountain adventures and has done several personal climbs in South America. He likes his rock & ice climbing, and when he is ready for a break from the mountains, he makes his way to the surf.
Read more about Steve on the AC Blog in our article, Steve Moffat—A Life Guiding.
- Summitted 2006
Cho Oyu (8,188m/26,863ft)
- Lead Guide 2014
- Guide 2007
- Everest (8,850m/29,035ft) - Guide 2006
- Carstensz Pyramid (4,884m/16,023ft) - Guide 2018
- Mount Vinson (4,892m/16,050ft) - Lead Guide 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016, 2017
- Aconcagua (6,962m/22,841ft) - Guide 2004/05
- Denali (6,190m/20,308ft) - 2019
- Cho Oyu (8,188m/26,863ft) - Lead Guide 2014, Guide 2007
- Island Peak (6,189m/20,305ft), Lobuche East (6,119m) & Kyajo Ri (6,186m) - Guide 2007, Lead Guide 2009 & 2010
- Ama Dablam (6,828m/22,401ft) - Guide 2003 & 2006, Lead Guide 2008
- Greenland Ski Mountaineering - Lead Guide 2011
- Three Peaks of Greenland - Lead Guide 2017
- IFMGA Ski & Mountain Guide - 2011
- Pre Hospital Emergency Care - Refresher 2014
Special Projects / Other
- Contract Manager for Alpine Safety Management - Rock Pinnacle Removal, Moirs Mate, Darren Mountains 2013 & 14
"Steve judged the different characters on the expedition very well and everyone warmed to his clear but understated manner. His logistical management of both the equipment and provisions was faultless. When necessary he made sure that the team knew that we were about to enter a more dangerous or challenging section that needed our full attention. His cheese cake was a dream!"
Graham Keene, Vinson 2017
"Steve did a great job in teaching me as much as he could in the short space of time we had. He was well organised and adapted to the weather conditions well. I felt very well looked after. He was 100% professional at all times and clearly loves the mountains."
New Zealand Private Instruction Course
"Leadership on the mountain was excellent; Steve’s decision making was always excellent. Steve had good balance between looking out for the whole team, but not smothering us by doing everything for us, and allowing the team to look after ourselves, so we grew our mountaineering skills at certain times."
Cho Oyu 2014